Sunday, October 17, 2010

Comparison and Contrast: Chairs


            When is a chair not a chair?  When I’m standing on it to reach that can of pasta sauce?  When I throw at my friend because it’s just been one of those nights?  What about when my chair has feet?   Or when my chair looks more like a military vehicle than a place to put my bum?  If you want to argue and I’m game then my stance is this: a chair is never a chair, a chair is DESIGN.  I dare you to Google chair and find a standard basic chair.  No dice? That’s what I thought; each and every chair has some sort of design.  However, I want to compare and contrast a “basic” chair to a chair that has obviously been designed above and beyond.  A basic chair has four legs, a back, and the seat.  A designed chair may have any number of legs, partial to a full back or a curved back, and any variation of seats possible.  It all comes down to functionality.  If the chair feels good, and you’re not sitting on the floor then you’re probably happy.  Some are not happy with just this however; some people want to sit in style.  There is always the thirst for a different variation of a basic product.  Think of lighting, there are millions of different ways to light your home.  My eyes lit up when I saw musician Pharell William’s take on chairs.  He designed a chair that I feel like he stole from my mind.  It was very creative but basic, which is what the consumer wants right now.  There isn’t a minute when you are looking at your chair when you’re sitting in it, so why waste time designing something.  People love to feel valued, if their chair is crafted greatly or made of fine materials, it propels their ego.  King Tut’s throne was made of gold, and I doubt he used it for anything other than sitting down.  It is all about how you make your customer feel, and that is why I love Design.

No comments:

Post a Comment