Sunday, November 14, 2010

DESIGN FOR THE TIME


            I was watching cable television this weekend and my mind began to wander.  I was watching one of the countless home design shows on HGTV.  I have become more and more interested in these shows; I watch them all the time with my Mom.  I know why they are so popular; they allow the audience to be a critic.  It is like watching movie previews before the actual movie comes on.  It allows the viewer to instantly criticize and debate on what is being altered to the house.  This is a draw to me, and I know others watch these shows because of this.   I also asked myself when did these interior design shows become so popular?  It really shows how design in society has grown and expanded to encompass television.  I feel that design in society is growing because people are becoming more aware that they don’t have to sacrifice aesthetics to achieve functionality.  For example, mp3 players used to be chunky and blocky and were very frustrating to control.  Now, we have the iPod touch: sleek, subtle, and very user-friendly.  An even better example would be the history of phones all the way to the progression of cellular phones.  Design in society is growing everywhere.  Commercials are more visually creative; chairs are art, living in every way and form, has been revitalized.  However, where does it go from here?  Does it stop and stall for a while, or does it storm forward like a runaway train?  Remember to keep your eyes open and you will notice the answer in due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment