Monday, November 1, 2010

THE WILDERNESS DOWNTOWN


Arcade fire is a band I admire; I really enjoy their song entitled, “Wake Up.”  It is refreshing to see a band that is creative in other outlets as they are with their music.   Currently, musical expression has been lacking in the music video medium.  Many can argue that the best music videos of the year are Kanye West’s “Runaway” and Arcade Fire’s “The Wilderness Downtown.”  The latter put a completely new twist on the music video medium.  It can only be seen on the computer, and it can honestly be said that it touches every viewer.  It’s simple, you type in your childhood home address and wait for the magic to happen.  The first time I viewed this, it was almost too personal but I liked it.  It created an epic motif, a feeling of want and anxiety.  As I watched I was in suspense, waiting for the outcome to reveal itself.  Even though I was anxious to see the end, the ride that the video took me on was well worth it.  I love when a designer creates a visual story that stirs up the viewer’s emotions.  The creation of this music video and its design shows how far technology has come and what tinkering with a computer can create.  Arcade fire shows that they care about their fan base with the creation of this video.  It is interactive and slightly addictive.  As a result, their music is heard more and more and creates more attention because of how their most recent video was constructed and distributed.  I suggest everyone should witness this creative design at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment